BACKYARD BURNING GUIDE
THE BURN SEASON WITHIN THE FELTON FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT IS:
BURNING OUT OF SEASON MAY RESULT IN A CITATION AND
Beginning December 1st, open yard burning is permissible for one or two family dwellings ONLY. The burn season will end on April 30th . The Felton Fire Protection District does not require a permit for this type of burning.
Burning is permitted only on days approved by the Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District. To determine the current burn day status and burn information, phone 1-800-225-2876 (800-CAL-BURN).
Burning shall be permitted subject to the following Uniform Fire Code conditions:
1. Only yard trimmings and brush originating on the premises of one or two family dwellings may be burned.
2. The material shall be arranged in small piles to facilitate burning and shall be free of waste material such as; tires, tar paper, plastic, poison oak, construction materials, and household garbage, etc.
3. The use of combustible and/or flammable liquid as starting fuels is expressly prohibited.
4. All burning shall be conducted at a distance of more than 25 feet from any building, structure, property line, or combustible material.
5. ON APPROVED BURN DAYS , burning is permitted between the hours of
6. A garden hose with a water supply shall be available near the area where the burning is done, and a competent person shall be in attendance at all times until the fire has been extinguished.
7. All burning in an incinerator is prohibited.
Permits are required for all "Agricultural Burning" and can be obtained at the Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District, 24580 Silver Cloud Court, Monterey, 8 am - 5 pm on weekdays, or by phone, (831)647-9411.
This information in no way relieves your responsibilities to neighboring properties and to burn in the prescribed manner . Please be courteous of your neighbors. Notify your neighbors prior to burning. Stop burning if smoke drifts onto your neighbor's house and adversely impacts their property. Neglect burning may result in a fine and/or liability to pay for fire suppression costs.
OPEN BURNING REQUIREMENTS FROM MONTEREY UNIFIED AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
If you have any questions about whether or not your proposed burn complies with these requirements, please call Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District - Enforcement Division at (831)647-9411